BUS STOP CONDUCT
1. Parents are to be informed that school bus transportation is a privilege and not a right and that the bus driver is the sole authority on the bus while students are being transported.
2. Parents are also to be informed that they are responsible for:
a. the safety of their child while going to or from the bus stop and while waiting for the school bus, including waiting for a school bus in a location clear of traffic and away from the bus stop;
b. their child being at the bus stop prior to scheduled pick-up time;
c. damage by their child to school buses, personal property, or
3. Students are expected to conduct themselves in a proper manner at bus stops. The Board will not enter into disputes involving parents and/or students concerning matters that take place prior to the student boarding the school bus or after the student has disembarked from the bus on his/her way home.
4. Students will ride only assigned school buses and will board and depart from the bus at assigned bus stops. Students will not be permitted to ride unassigned buses for any reason other than an emergency, except as approved by the principal and the transportation department.
5. A change in a student's regular assigned bus stop may be granted for a special need, if a note from a parent is submitted to the building principal and transportation department stating the reason for the request and the duration of the change for approval.
6. A permanent transfer to another route or bus stop for morning pickup and/or afternoon drop-off will only be made upon the approval of the Director of Transportation.
7. Students shall cross all streets at least ten (10) feet in front of the school bus and after the driver has signaled the student that it is all right to do so.
8. For the safe operation of the school bus, noise on buses shall be kept at a minimum with students speaking in reasonable conversation voices. Students must be quiet at railroad crossings and other danger zones as designated by the bus driver.
9. The following cargo is forbidden to be transported on a school bus: pets, alcoholic beverages, drugs, ammunition, explosives, firearms, knives, or any other dangerous materials or objects. If there is a question on the transportation of a particular item, the Director of Transportation should be consulted.
10. K thru 5th students must have a parent or guardian at the stop / residence at the time the bus arrives to receive their student, otherwise they will be returned to their respective school's latchkey program.